The information here should help you plan your transition from wideband to narrowband. January 1, 2013, is the date the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has mandated that all systems be operating narrowband. However, after January 1, 2011, no new wideband systems can be implemented nor can existing systems be modified. We are concerned that agencies will be surprised if they try to implement new wideband systems or expand their existing wideband systems and find they cannot be licensed.
As of June 30, 2010, the FCC modified their original narrowband rules to allow wideband equipment to continue to be sold until January 1, 2013.
Information will be added to this page from time to time so please check it occasionally to see what changes might have occurred.
If you need assistance with your narrowband conversion, please give us a call. Our engineers have experience with many different types of systems and simulcast engineering is a specialty.
In addition to the documents you can download from our site below, you can also request a copy of our narrowbanding planning tool "Race the FCC" that is in a game format. If you would like a copy of this planning tool, please contact Susan Seefeld.
Additional Narrowbanding Resources
- FCC VHF/UHF Narrowbanding Workshop (FCC Live Event, January 26, 2011)
- FCC VHF/UHF Narrowbanding Information
- FCC Order (Released June 30, 2010) (pdf, 104K)
- FCC Public Notice (Released December 11, 2009) (pdf, 124K)
- Narrowbanding: How Will It Change My Coverage? (written by Carl B. "Bernie" Olson for Public Safety Communications Magazine, November 2009, pages 16-17)
- Narrowbanding Prep (Radio Resources, MissionCritical Communications, July 2009 Publication) (pdf, 464K)
- Management Briefing No. 9: Narrowbanding 101 (pdf, 361K)
- Narrowbanding for Managers (pdf, 386K)
- Narrowbanding for Technicians (pdf, 335K)
- Audio Processing (pdf, 112K)
- IWCE Simulcast Presentation (pdf, 2MB)
- FCC Narrowbanding Mandate: A Public Safety Guide for Compliance (Copyright 2006 by the International Association of Fire Chiefs and the International Municipal Signal Association) (pdf, 617K)